Wales, is known for its rugged landscapes, rich history, and for its warm hospitality, has emerged as a true global gem in the world of travel. In 2023, Wales had the honour of receiving prestigious accolades and awards, cementing its place on the international travel map and establishing the country as a must visit sustainable destination.
Wales received a position in Lonely Planet’s ‘Best in Travel 2024’ awards for ‘Best Sustainable Destination’ for the Wales by Trails concept. Lonely Planet praised our “legislation for sustainability - the revamped railways expand the possibilities of exploring the nation’s wild, wonderful west. New train stations and increased services are planned for South Wales’s main rail line in early 2025. Whilst out-of-the-way Pembrokeshire National Park is becoming more accessible by road. ”
Wales, was also recognised by Conde Nast Traveler as a destination that simply cannot be overlooked. The country has been featured on their coveted list of "Places to Go in 2023," and it has also made the list of "13 Exciting UK Destinations for 2023." These accolades highlight the uniqueness of Wales, drawing global attention to our breathtaking landscapes, historic sites, and vibrant cultural experiences.
In addition Cardiff, the capital of Wales, has achieved a distinction of being recognised as the "Best UK City" but it has also been declared the "Most Friendly UK City" by the discerning readers of Conde Nast Traveller. This double honour is a testament to the city's remarkable blend of modernity and tradition, along with the warmth and friendliness of its residents.
Meanwhile Pembrokeshire has once again been recognised as one of the 20 highest scores in Leading Places Tourism Sentiment Index, ranking it among the top 100 most loved destinations in the world and included in best destinations to visit in 2023 (Rough Guides).
And the Wales food and drink offer also appears in the 2023 awards with Hensol Castle Distillery winning Tripadvisor Travellers Choice Award for 2023 for the second year and the two star Michelin award and 5 AA Rosettes Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms run by chef /owner Gareth Ward, has been awarded AA Restaurant with Rooms of the Year (Wales); National (UK) Restaurant of the Year (National Restaurant Awards, second year running)
These accolades are a testament to the tireless efforts of Wales as a destination to offer exceptional experiences to visitors from all corners of the globe. Whether it's a conference at the M&IT UK Hotel of the year at The Celtic Manor Resort, team building expedition exploring the awe-inspiring landscapes of the Eryri (Snowdonia) National Park, or coasteering into the blue waters off The National Coastal Park in Pembrokeshire, to an incentive food and drink trail savouring culinary delights in its’ charming towns and villages.
Award-winning Wales 2023
- A position in Lonely Planet’s ‘Best in Travel 2024’ awards for ‘Best Sustainable Destination’ for the Wales by Trails concept
- The World Media Group has announced Cymru Wales as the Grand Prix winner of the 2023 World Media Awards and ‘Wales To The World’ campaign also won the Travel & Tourism category. It capitalised on the opportunity to showcase the nation to an international audience when Wales qualified for the FIFA World Cup finals for the first time in 64 years. Other brands included Adidas, Birkenstock, Visa and Volkswagen.
- Cardiff - Best UK City and Most Friendly UK city in 2023 at the Readers’ Choice Awards (CN Traveller).
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct – the world’s most beautiful UNESCO site in the UK (TimeOut London – according to tour operator Explore Worldwide). There are six other sites with UNESCO World Heritage Status in Wales to discover.
- Angela Shanley Associates (Cambria@ASA) – tour operator of the year (UKinbound). In June 2022 Angela Shanley Associates welcomed Wales specialists Cambria DMC into the ASA group offering a complete DMC service dedicated to Wales for FIT, Group & Business Events travel.
- The Celtic Manor Resort - was crowned the Best UK Hotel 2023for the tenth time, securing the coveted gold award from M&IT
- ICC Wales secured two M&it silver awards in 2023 for Best UK Conference Centre and Best Positive Impact/Event Legacy for its extensive work on educating the sector on the protect duty law coming into place (Martyn’s Law).
- The Royal Mint – best museum or gallery and runner up best guided tour (Group Leisure & Travel Awards 2023). Tourist attraction of the year (Welsh Hospitality Awards 2023).
- Hensol Castle Distillery - TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Award 2023 for the second year.
- Pembrokeshire - one of the 20 highest scores in Leading Places Tourism Sentiment Index, ranking it among the top 100 most loved destinations in the world. The list is based on review sites and millions of online conversations and included in best destinations to visit in 2023 (Rough Guides)..
- Solva – included in 20 most beautiful villages in the UK and Ireland (CN Traveller).
- Wales – featured in global list of places to go in 2023 and on list of 13 exciting UK destinations for 2023 (Conde Nast).
- Cardigan – top three Best UK Places to Visit in 2023 – (TimeOut).
- Penally Abbey Hotel, Tenby – AA Hotel of the Year (Wales)
- The Jackdaw, Conwy – AA Restaurant of the Year (Wales)
- Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms Mid Wales – AA Restaurant with Rooms of the Year (Wales); National (UK) Restaurant of the Year (National Restaurant Awards, second year running)
- The Harbourmaster Hotel Aberaeron Mid Wales – named Best in Wales (Good Hotel Guide)